Below is a basic set of information about obtaining a Canadian Student Visa. Please contact me directly in order to discuss your specific situation.

A foreign national may not study in Canada unless he/she is in possession of a study permit. It should be noted, however, that if the course or study program lasts for six (6) months or less, a study permit is not required.

Please take note of the following general information regarding studying in Canada:

(i) Each Canadian university, technical school or community college sets its own requirements. The registrars of these schools can provide information on tuition fees, health insurance, scholarships, lodging and living expenses, and language requirements.

(ii) Every post-secondary student in Canada has to pay tuition fees. The fees vary from school to school and from year to year. The registrar will help the student to determine the fees required.

(iii) Canada has two (2) official languages: English and French. The student will need to know one or the other to follow course lectures and reading assignments. Some post-secondary schools might ask the student to take a language test. They may charge a fee for this test, which the student will have to pay. Language requirements are set by each school. Once again, school registrars can give the student information on language requirements.

Once the student has decided on the courses he/she wants to take, officials at the school where the student applies will tell the student if he/she qualifies. If accepted, the student will receive a confirmation letter from the registrar, the school board or the school, itself.

To be acceptable to Canadian Immigration officials, the letter should be the original, not a photocopy, specify in detail the courses the student is taking, confirm that the applicant has been accepted as a student, and indicate the length of program or studies.